Friday, January 8, 2010

Writing Songs instead of doing work, that will never get you nowhere! ...unless..

A preview of what's been on my mind lately:

I’d rather howl to Allen Ginsberg and pray about saxophones and the shortness of our holy hours
Or turn down the sound on their past and my colors explode this world with all things new
Hollow music, traces brass-like, time’s laugh chases a future I know I’m bound
So their dictions, and predilections, I’ve got no use for them now
In other words, I’m quite the silent type, unless it all spills out in songs

Wrote this song yesterday instead of doing coursework. It's sonically not far off from other songs I've written (and it's really fun to play...), but lyrics wise it's quite a departure.

What's it about? I usually don't like to talk about my songs as any piece of art is open to interpretation, and mine is just as worthy as yours...but my take on it (and I'm probably contradicting it by typing this out, ah the paradox of life!) It's about the fact that I'm bored with examining outdated, irrelevant theories about art and artists from what seems like a million years ago. I want to LIVE art today. Fueled by those in the past who sought new boundaries of consciousness through art: I'm not interested in intellectualizing and sterilizing and objectifying it; and that I would rather--and can't help myself from--being possessed by inspiration and writing a song.

If that's the trade off for not studying, then I think I'm doing just fine!

Veronica
xx

0 comments: